Velo Club Moulin

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Velo Club Moullorca

I've been going to Mallorca on and off for the best part of thirty years now and when this years holidays were being organised I made sure I had a bike booked on the flight along with me and the Family.  On my last trip to the Balearic Island five years ago I had travelled with my mountain bike and although it was good this time I couldn't resist taking the road bike to take advantage of the endless kilometers of smooth tarmac.


As any of you that have been to Mallorca with a bike will know there are plenty of hills and mountains to climb in the North of the Island giving more than enough roads to keep you interested.  As always we were based in Pollensa which gave me great access to the roads heading West towards Lluc and Soller. 

My favorite climb during the two weeks was from Inca up over the Coll De Sa Batalla(576m) towards Lluc.  I did this route from both sides with the Coll de Femenia(515m) side being slightly shorter but feeling slightly steeper.  The experience of climbing for 10 km on beautifully smooth tarmac is one not to be repeated in this country that is for sure!


One of my rides took me out to the lighthouse at Cap Formentor, the most Northerly point on the Island. One of the challenges in getting to and from the Cap was safely negotiating the tunnel on route.  The road out here is very well used and as such felt like riding at home apart from the fact that every car that passed gave you plenty of room.


Having endured the persistent Scottish rain throughout June and the start of July it was a delight being able to ride in dry warm conditions without having to worry about what extra layers and jackets that may be required.  I didn't really get fed up of cycling in blistering heat and I don't think I ever would.


But as ever all good things must come to an end and so it was back to the Scottish wind and rain.  It hasn't been easy coming back and having to plan rides around the weather again but at least I have the miles in my legs now and the memories of some great cycling.


My count for the two weeks stood at 220 miles which for a family holiday wasn't too shabby at all.  So if you are planning heading away make sure to pack a bike!
 

No comments: