Velo Club Moulin

Sunday 19 February 2012

British Fire Service Cyclo Cross Championships

Its a while ago now but I started my cross season waaay back in October, Not in Scotland but over the Border at the Fire Service Sports and Athletics Association National Cyclo Cross Championships which were hosted by Tyne and Wear Fire Service at Temple Park, South Shields. The Fire Service Champs were incorporated into round 4 of the North East CX league which was being held the day before the First National Trophy round. There was a massive field in the mens race with British Champ Paul Oldham and a host of Belgian and Dutch riders checking out the course for the Sunday. This made for super fast racing on an almost exclusively grassy course which was rather alien to me coming from a diet of technical Scottish race courses. The course wound it's way back and forth so it was easy to keep a check on where you were in relation to other riders throughout the race. VCM were represented by me and Local Paul Errington, I wasn't too fussed where i ended up in the race overall as my main goal was the Fire Service Champs.


Anyway after a frantic hour of racing(hanging on) I finished in 38th place overall with Paul taking 43rd overall. Most importantly for me though was that I had managed to finish 2nd firefighter to take the Silver medal. The Gold medal was won by an incredibly fast Alan Nixon(Durham FS) who placed a fantastic 8th overall.

No comments: