Velo Club Moulin

Wednesday 6 October 2010

3^ CX

 
A couple of weeks since the 3 Peaks now. Time for a quick report.
 
Good fun and a chance to catch up with friends I don't see often enough. For the third year running the event was dry- BONUS. Ingleborough was tough as ever but went well enough, 21st through Cold Cotes probably my highest yet at that point. Road section to Whernside was ok, not too windy and caught a few more so into the top 20.



 
Whernside however was not nice; in previous years I've got into a nice rythm climbing the steps 'till the ground levels into the rideable top section. Not so this year, instead CRAMP and plenty of it. Lots of possible reasons for this but mainly the legs weren't ready for this kind of effort after two months lost to the flippin cold. Suppose I've been lucky as I've avoided a serious cold for the last two winters but why the hell did I have to catch one in the build up to my main race of the year? Best laid plans! The view off Whernside was stunning, fantastic just to be out in such an amazing part of the World. Descent off Whernside went well, no punctures or mechanical issues so happy enough with that. Managed to spot most of the quick lines I think but still some improvement to come there. The Mary Poppins bike came into it's own on this section; the extra width of the flat bars and V-brakes were ace. Back to a proper 'crosser next year? Not sure yet.

Into a group of six or so for the spin along to Pen-y-ghent. This gave a chance to spin the legs but the cramp was determined to stay. Pen-y-ghent is the most rideable of the three climbs and normally has been my favourite hill, I was grovelling up it this year though. Just a case of getting up and over the final hill, not really able to attack this one at all, glad to only loose a few places as I was scared of blowing completely.
 




So all in all a good day out but a long way off the ride I know is in there. It's always frustrating not being able to race to your maximum but that's all part of bike racing I guess- you can't be 100% in every race. Still pleased I made the trip to Settle though and a good chance to see my folks who came down to be support crew. Massive thanks to Emma and my whole family who followed round as support, don't think we could have squeezed any more spare wheels in the little Corsa but thankfully none were needed. Good to see Steve McInnes absolutely ripping it for 7th spot- top bloke and a quick bike rider- well worth the journey down from Mull. Thanks to my mate John who had a year off riding, took the pics in this post and provided some much needed encouragement going up Pen-y-ghent.
 
Onto 'normal' 'cross now. Hopefully the results will come.
 
Cheers
Stevo.

2 comments:

Invergordy said...

Great effort yet again Stevo, Im still gutted that i didn't make it to fly the flag as well. There is next year though.

Dean said...

Super impressed as always. Cracking effort.