Velo Club Moulin

Monday 1 December 2008

Getting the excuses in

Sunday was Round 11 of the London 'cross league hosted By VC Etoile with a venue change from Lancing college to Deers Leap Park in East Grinstead (The website said the venue change was due to there not being enough parking space for 'cross competitors. Cross id have been Livid)

However on Saturday I set out on a mission to the Fens of Lincolnshire to collect my new girl Rosie. So at lunchtime I jumped on the train with my trusty Langster and headed northeast to Newark were it turned out to be damp, misty and thankfully not windy! (I have a mental image of Lincolnshire always being windy) and began the second part of my journey to a small village by the name of Rowston where i was to pay for and collect Rosie.

Now the mission began, Rosie may be Female (as all mechanical things are) but she is no girl. She Happens to be my new race wagon an ex military Land Rover 101 forward control ambulance which has been lovingly converted into a camper/mission vehicle. I say mission as I had foolishly assumed that being based on a Land Rover she would be like my current Land Rovers to drive. Hmmm not quiteshe is getting on for twice the weight and a wide load. It was only when myself and Richard, Rosies creator went for a spin round the block that reality set in and I had a moment of pucker as her full dimensions sunk in. This lessened the more I drove her and started to find the right gears in the gearbox rather than Neutral or the wrong gear.

5 hours later I arrived back in London and nearly home. But before I could get Home National Rescue came to may rescue as the battery had lost its charge whilst playing with the flood lights without the engine running. So 1 jump start later and I was Home with my new girl and feeling very happy but shattered.

With no food left in the fridge and the prospect of sleeping on sunday morning, Playing with my new toy and buying food for the week or racing I took the lightweight option and slept!

So excuses in and no races on the cards 'til Mull I will continue to entertain myself with Rosie and just riding my bikes.

Ladies and Gentlemen may I introduce to you all Rosie Das Brick.

13 comments:

chrisD said...

holly mollie, that is one big old girl, nice, I applaud your anti credit crunch stance.

Phil The Horse said...

CheersQ I am one very happy camper :-)

martysavalas said...

beeyootiful

Dean said...

Holy poop! Rosie might just be the coolest vehicle I've ever seen.

Chapeau - can't wait to jump aboard :^)

jac said...

She's just big boned, that's all.

dRjON said...

awesome!!!...whats inside?

missMac said...

All the aerodynamics of a brick and then some. I hope the interior is suitably plush as you'll no doubt be in need of a little comfort having driven any distance at her helm

Ps Can we drive her to Puffer..?

Phil The Horse said...

I like to think of her as beefcake! Inside there is a double bed, lighting and hopefully by the end of this weekend a soundsystem (with a bigger one when funds allow!) I was contemplating strathpuffer, how many
days can you take off work?

martysavalas said...

sue asks - what that strapped to the front just below the windscreen?

Phil The Horse said...

erm, do you mean the black bit? if so its a jerry can

martysavalas said...

above the jerry can, but below the windscreen. looks like a weapon of some sort.

Phil The Horse said...

Ah the hi lift jack, so yes weapon aswell!

martysavalas said...

ahah! i think we should get one for the disappointing robo-car