Velo Club Moulin

Monday 11 May 2009

Just to reassure you all I haven't fallen off the face of the earth - I'm just on the other side of it now. I've been busy doing not much, but I managed to squeeze in a local race - one that I was looking forwards to more than most - The New Zealand Single Speed champs.

The guys here know how to put on a slick race - They've been professional event organisers for about 7 years and are keen to step up. At the race briefing they made it clear that they'd had their hearts set on hosting a World Single Speed event. They went to the point of renaming the NZ race "Rest of the World", feeling a bit raw believing the Americans had it all stitched up for a 2nd event before the Napa kicked off. Ah well,boys. Maybe next year, eh?

Anyway, the event was ace. We rode out from the town centre at midday taking a meandering white pumice path past Sulphur Point (mmmmm, who farted?), a steaming geothermal peninsula covered in native Kanuka bushes. The race course and start was kept secret until all arrived at the Redwood forest, where the ragtag bunch of about 300 riders were directed to the start line.

The format was familiar - Le Mans start, spectators were invited to shuffle bikes while riders were off sorting out outfits and vying for pole position on the start line, 4 laps of an 8km course on insanely smooth, flowing, fun trails with one gradual gravel climb, a beer shortcut and a peppering of heckles. My major concern was the pending rain and my decision to ditch the VCM colours for the day and don an 80's inspired yellow leotard (dangerously thin and prone to transparency).

I managed a brilliant run down the rocky road in my cleated shoes to arrive at the bike in the first 10 people, but my start went downhill from there because my bike was so cunningly hidden. After every other entrant had collected their bike and left, I was ready to give up and admit I'd actually lost my bike. Then I spied it - nestled between the portaloos and a hilux ute in the far corner! "For f*cks sake!" I grabbed it and sprinted off, exectuing my best high speed cross mount and tore off up the road to play hurry-up-and-wait as the trail narrowed to singletrack.

So, I clawed my way up to 3rd female, (or 2nd Loser as my certificate claims), downed 3 beers (more practice needed) and threw up on myself once (not very dignified). Check out the photo evidence of the 'Rest of the World Single Speeds' here

7 comments:

ThePixelMerch©nt said...

Chuffin ace! Wish I was there to see the last bit.....

dRjON said...

downed 3 beers? sounds pretty damn good to me...

ace work foreign correspondent...

chrisD said...

watch out Jez, sounds like Anja is after your title of head vomiteer!

Sounds like a lotta fun and good to hear from you

martysavalas said...

nice work.

as for sswc-oh-nine. no stitch-up, NZ#s ringer just wasn't good enough on Ms Pac-Man... :)

missMac said...

Clearly there was no stitch up, but try and convince these guys of that! They'd do a mighty fine (if not slightly more commercial than usual) job if they get their chance.

BTW the vomit was entirely due to the fast pace of consumption and consequential foaminess induced by shaking about ones' belly-full-o-beer on sweet single track!

andytrailfettler said...

ace report Anja, great to hear what you've been upto.

downing 3 beers - i'd be lucky to get one down! Impressive!

did the leotard survive the vomit??

Dean said...

Well done Anja!

So Chris - can we have team leotards and leg-warmers for 2010?